May 24, 2016

Landscape Photography Vlog#1 : Shooting the Bamboo Walkway

Hello guys I am Utpalendra Deka an user experience consultant with a passion for Landscape photography.

As always the first question I ask myself when I see Landscape photos from masters like Marc Adamus, Patrick Marson Ong and our very own Debraj Chakraborty is 

What was going on in his mind when he shot this?

So although a novice to Landscape Photography, I thought why not share what I was thinking when I took this.


The bamboo path : The amazing thing is, this walkway is completely built with bamboo on the hillsides in the bank river Brahmaputra by antigens from Majuli and the bend here feels like it's leading to infinity.
Shot with Nikon D7200 and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
@ 11mm 1.3sec f/14 ISO100
On this day I got ready to shoot this location on the north bank of river Brahmaputra near  Guwahati city. The plan was to shoot the sunrise. So I did my ground work the day before fuelled up the car, checked the map for routes, checked weather forcast (expected slight clouds), packed food, checked memory cards (formatted), charged up the camera batteries and a few more ... sigh that's a lot!

As I was going for a sunrise shot and I had an hour long drive to the location, so I started way before first light. All the way I was hoping that its not going to be a complete grey sky.

As I reached the location and I was lucky as it is not that far from the road, I spend some time setting up the gear. Used the app Sun Surveyor to check the exact location where the sun will come up. Now its time to just watch and wait for the right light.

While I waited for first light, just to kill time I kept walking the bank of the river and found this awesome floating bamboo walkway built on the steep bank of the river. What a catch!!

As the first glow of the sun came I was heartbroken to see that the sky was as bland and grey as it gets, but now I have another shot in my mind. To shoot the bamboo walkway :)

So I reset my gear on this curve of the walkway.
A wider view of the walkway.
I chose a vertical frame to enhance the walkway, something like this.
A vertical frame worked best.
Here is what happened on the shoot.





If you want to see more of my photography visit my 500px page or Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment